I’m veering off the path of the master bathroom remodel to bring you our DIY shiplap fireplace surround makeover. I’m so pleased with how much it lightened the room and added character. I know you’re here for the after pictures but just wait till you see what we started with.
There’s nothing quite like having a fireplace in the master bedroom. But the looks of the previous fireplace surround left me feeling far from warm and cozy. The previous owners did a great job adding a surround to the gas fireplace but it still felt like a brown wooden box sitting in the room.
The fireplace surround needed an overhaul and the makeover needed to be done on a budget.
Ready to see how it turned out?
So, let me show you how it all went down.
I knew I wanted the fireplace to have clean, simple lines…no frills…with a craftsman/farmhouse feel that fit our 1915 bungalow. I found just the right inspiration picture from Pinterest.
I’m a bit obsessed with trim, molding and wainscoting and Tiek Built Homes never fails to deliver beautiful craftsmanship. I loved everything about that fireplace but I chose to swap the modern glass tile for quartz ledge stone . It would add a bit more warmth and texture.
After we knew the direction we were going in, my husband and I began deconstructing the old fireplace surround. We made sure we turned off the main gas line during this part. We found a nice surprise behind the gas fireplace insert…the original cast iron surround.
Next, we built the framework of the fireplace surround with 2 X 3’s and added cement board around the gas fireplace insert.
We put the ledge stone up and called it a night while the tile adhesive dried.
The next day, we added 2 X 3s above the fireplace and roughed-in all of the electrical. We don’t plan on putting a TV in the bedroom, but just in case we sell the house, the next person has a place to plug in their television and cable box. The room needed better lighting, so we also added a couple recessed lights on a dimmer above the fireplace. The ambiance is crazy good at night!
I also gave the hearth a makeover to make it look like soapstone.
Next up, we added 1/4″ plywood to the upper part of the fireplace surround where the shiplap would go. I painted it white in case you could see through the gaps. The base of the framework was covered in 1/2″ plywood. The top of the mantle was also made from 1/2″ plywood but it’s trimmed out in 1/2″ strips of trim to cover the edges.
The rest of the trim work and planks were made from a 4 X 8′ sheet of 1/2″ plywood ripped down into 2″ and 6″ strips. I filled in the edges with wood filler and sanded before I painted everything. This saved us a lot of money since we didn’t have to buy pre-cut trim. The crown molding was the icing on the cake.